Just a quick review, having had this unit now for a month. I haven't gotten the rear camera wired up yet. I am impressed, that for the price, this unit does everything I want it to and looks OEM, feels solid, good responsive touchscreen, and interface. It is "plug and play", except that my shipment was missing a needed antenna cable and I had to search around to find one at a stereo shop. The instructions are minimal, and the translation of the owner's manual is very poor, to the point of useless. However, everything seems very intuitive with the exception being the ipod/iphone interface....
1) navigation is excellent, maps up to date even in rural Canada. Better than my factory audi setup in other vehicle.
2) the bluetooth works with a built-in microphone; sometimes incoming calls sound tinny, other times more clear. People on the other end report they can hear me fine but definitely sounds like I'm in the car on a speakerphone. I might look into a better microphone to put up closer to my face on the drivers' A pillar, as some others have done, for better clarity. I can't get my iphone to stream over the bluetooth, but I think that's a known problem with apple ios6, rather than the head unit.
3) the FM reception is good, even though this must be bypassing part of the diversity antenna setup. I also can get good reception on the one AM station in my area, although I don't ever listen to it. I didn't buy the TV tuner.
4) the DVD player works while in motion, handy for the kids in the back seat, hopefully I won't get a ticket while its on, not supposed to be able to watch on the screen while driving here.
5) the iphone interface is really lacking; it comes up just with an alphabetical list of songs, and it takes multiple button presses to find artists/playlists/etc.
I may try to jailbreak my phone so I can control the playback from the phone itself.
6) the sound quality overall is excellent, better than the standard stock stereo.
7) I miss the satellite radio capability, but if I really want it I suppose I can get the app on my phone and play it through the aux input.
The screen does wash out with bright sunlight or glare, and also doesn't dim at night when the cabin lights dim, but doesn't bother me. My volume controls work, that's all I use anyway on the steering wheel, I have the basic red MFD and it doesn't show anything in that, but who cares.
If you buy this, and plan to install it yourself, make sure the company sends you 4 of the VW radio removal keys, and not just 2. And, there are a whole lot of cables and hardware behind the unit that make it really challenging to get it back in locked position; mine is still sticking out 1/2 inch until I get the camera installed.
All in all, for a price less than $500, does 95% of what I would want an RNS510 to do, for about 25% of the price. Couldn't really be happier. No affiliation, just my initial impressions of what seems to be a good value unit. Also, despite lack of documentation, the customer service emails are very responsive and quick. The thing shipped from China to eastern Canada in 4 days; must be some kind of record.
- In-dash Navigation
- Reverse Camera
- Digital TV
- Head-up Display